President Obama dined this past week with several power players from the technology world. As expected, this private event held at the home of John Doerr, a partner with Kleiner, Perkins, Caufield, & Byers generated significant public relations buzz for the business leaders in attendance.
The picture above is from Mashable's article: Obama Toasts Tech with Industry Luminaries [PICS]. Here are articles from The New York Times Technology Section and additional sources describing the exclusive guest list:
- The Mystery of Obama's Dinner with Tech Executives
- Top Silicon Valley Execs to Meet with Obama
- San Francisco Chronicle: Obama Dines with Tech Stars of Silicon Valley
- Los Angeles Times: Official List of Obama Tech Meeting -- CEOs of Twitter, Netflix, Oracle, Yahoo, Others
Here's my question:
- Where's Bill Gates?
- Where's Steve Ballmer?
- Where's Microsoft?
I'm not the only one who noticed.
Search Engine Land and ZDNet provide more "read-between-the-lines" analysis of the alleged, univited technology CEOs. Via Larry Dignan's post, Obama's Big Tech Powwow Invite List: A Few Stunning Omissions:
- Sam Palmisano, CEO of IBM
- Leo Apotheker, CEO of HP
- Jeff Bezos, CEO of Amazon
- Steve Ballmer, CEO of Microsoft
- Marc Benioff, CEO of Salesforce.com
Microsoft's absence is glaring. And, a picture speaks a thousand words ...